Wednesday, 3 December 2008

Pressure's on

Yesterday I had a meeting with my supervisor. I haven't decided yet whether I enjoy my meetings with him or not. I leave from them with a massive list of things I need to do and to get my head around. On the one hand, it means that for the rest of the week I won't be staring at my computer screen not knowing what to do next, but on the other, the tasks are overwhelming.

I need to keep working on my project proposal, I must brush up on some methodologies that I thought I understood but I obviously don't, I've got people to e-mail and call and beg for information, and I need to go birding at least once a day. And that's the easy stuff. I've been avoiding my statistics practicals because I find them difficult to understand, but I need to catch up now (four weeks worth). I also need to teach myself GIS and use it to analyse a load of data. Apparently, if I find something challenging then it's doing me good. But I haven't risen to the challenge particularly well and all I want to do is run away from it all.

Everyone keeps telling me to not let these things get me down. I have no idea how to keep all these problems separate from the rest of my life, when there isn't a rest of my life, or there shouldn't be because there is evidently no space for it. So far my weekends have been pretty leisurely, but that's going to have to stop. And I desperately want to go to the gym again, but I can never find the time.

Finding a positive spin to put on this is a struggle. There are just not enough hours during the day. The first term is practically over - a week and a half left - and I feel like I haven't achieved anything.

1 comment:

Theopemptou said...

May I offer just a little bit of advice?
I have supervised a lot of projects great and small, for many years. The trick is to identify what needs to be done, not all but the most pressing and work on it, one bit at a time.
A success on one, will give you motivation confidence for the next task.
bit by bit ...
Good luck !

Post a Comment