Saturday, 3 January 2009

Back to reality

A New Year has begun - at least according to the Gregorian calendar - and it's an excuse to pretend to start afresh. I'm not going to make any formal resolutions, because I'm more likely to become depressed than a better person according to these people, but I know what they are in my head.

I had a lovely break for the holidays - it was good to slow down and not think about the things that make me anxious for a while. I'm not sure if going away was such a good idea though. I have six weeks before I go back to Cyprus for my field work. I'm dreading it. But there's not much more I can do from here: it's just a case of going out there and practicing my methods for real.

I am so glad that I didn't take a more exotic PhD topic! On the one hand, tracking tigers with camera traps in Sumatra would be unbelievably cool and an incredible experience, but on the other, I'd now be facing the prospect of at least six months in a jungle, with no running water or the possibility to communicate with the civilised world! And I'm terrified as it is about doing field work on my own in Cyprus!
I'm such a coward.

PS.: If anyone has any bright ideas about learning to identify bird songs please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment