Monday, 26 January 2009

Stranger - part one

I must apologise for taking so long to post since my last entry. Quite a few things have happened in the last couple of weeks: both work and play. I think the most sensible strategy to catch up is to break the news up into easily digestible chunks. Enjoy

On the work side, I have to admit that I never did finish that document on bird survey methods. It was actually impossible for me to do it in time for my supervisor to take a look at it before leaving for Cambodia, and after clearing it with him, it took a back seat on my to-do list.

I should get it done soon though! Writing up my project proposal properly was actually very rewarding. It had been a long time since I'd done any writing and it felt good to have a reason for reading papers. So far, my reading has been undirected and I would feel as though I achieved nothing from reading - the information would just go in through my eyes and out through some back door. But having to produce a document with a specific aim, based on that information, meant that what I was reading was being processed.

And, success! My supervisor called me before leaving for Cambodia to tell me that through my writing I show signs of intelligence. Again, I'm not sure exactly how I'm supposed to take this. It doesn't take much to impress this man. I still haven't decided if this is because he has very low expectations of me or because he's making an active effort to boost my (recently non-existent) confidence.

Anyway, he seems to have newfound hope that I am the right candidate for this PhD. However, the biggest test of all will be the field. I am still very scared about this. But there's nothing left to it now. I just have to go ahead and do my best.

In the meantime, the coal tits are here =)


1 comment:

Menelaos Symeonides said...

You go get 'em, tiger. Kick their post-dinosauric avian ass.

Post a Comment