Monday, 24 August 2009

Fieldwork Roundup

I'm back!

I have been missing in action doing fieldwork since March and now I am back at my office in Norwich. It's pretty claustrophobic and quite a transition. I've been starting slow and steady trying to focus again.

Fieldwork was not so hard in the end. It was long and repetitive, but I now have 202 sites' worth of data on birds and habitat. I ended up being pretty good at bird identification, both by sight and by call. Surprisingly, but thankfully, it turned out to be very easy to pick up. I had two field assistants during the course of the season. As I predicted, it was interesting. But without them I wouldn't have been able to complete so many sites, so it was excellent to have them with me.

The best thing about the fieldwork was the opportunity to see so much of my country. I've been to so many places and seen so much of the Cyprus countryside, and I would never have done anything like this had it not been for the PhD. Cyprus is a gorgeous place to explore and I love it. I will be going back for more of the same fieldwork in winter, and will face a whole new set of challenges. It scares me, but it's happening, so I won't worry about it quite yet.

I've got other things to freak out about now: data analysis.

1 comment:

Edward Baker said...

Glad it went so well!

Post a Comment