Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Drowning in data

I've been back in the UK for five weeks exactly, and it's already feeling like a lifetime!

I have to admit I've not really been concentrating on work for most of this past month and a bit. Apart from the expected post-fieldwork brain-scatter, I've also been grappling with a ridiculously complicated moving situation. I won't get into it now, let's just say that it won't actually be fully sorted out for another 3 weeks or so. This whole thing has resulted in a monumental decline in efficiency, productivity, health, and mental wellbeing. I now find myself in a period of relative calm and stability, so I've been able to actually make some progress (and post this blog entry).

So, as you may recall, I am now in a situation where my plans have been changed completely, and I am facing a long stint of data analysis. It is the view of my supervisors that the data I have collected so far will be enough for my thesis. I would actually love to have another field season, but it might not be the best course of action, given the amount of time I have left as a PhD student.

If I use the funding I have budgeted for another field season to employ someone to digitise and enter data for me, then I would save a couple of months of mindless tedium. If I actually go to the field, not only do I lose 3-4 months of valuable data analysis time, I actually increase the amount of data I'd have to enter. In effect, I'd lose about 6-7 months of analysis and writing-up time. So the first scenario makes much more sense.

All this is yet to be finalised and agreed on. In fact, I have my annual review meeting with my supervisors in a couple of days, so I am hoping to have a new gameplan for the PhD, so I can start fresh on it next week.

I leave you with a pretty picture I made in my GIS - see, I've been doing some work! It shows the relative proportions of the main different habitat/land use types at my survey sites across Cyprus. This sort of map should hopefully help me deal with any potential spatial autocorrelation issues. More on that some other time.


No comments:

Post a Comment